In article <1135123633.809754.318990 / f14g2000cwb.googlegroups.com>,
bonefry <bellarchitects / gmail.com> wrote:
>Austin Ziegler wrote:
>> On 20/12/05, Bob Hutchison <hutch / recursive.ca> wrote:
>> > Lose the hostility and read his article again. He is asking a fair
>> > question. Why *would* a programmer already into Python switch to
>> > Ruby? My question is does it matter if we can or cannot get a Python
>> > programmer to switch?
>>
>> Bob:
>>
>> Mr Eckel is not merely asking the question. He is asking the question
>> in perhaps as hostile a way as he can without saying that Rubyists are
>> poopyheads.
>
>If you read that article a little carefully, Bruce Eckel is mad about
>Bruce Tate ignoring Python in "Beyond Java". And he has a point. Python
>has been a good alternative to Java for years. And it still is.
>
>And in my oppinion Bruce Eckel could be more valuable asset to the Ruby
>community that Bruce Tate, since Bruce Tate is just spreading FUD to
>sell books in my oppinion, but still ... doesn't have time to
>investigate Python which is THE traditional alternative to Java.
>
>I really hope Bruce Eckel changes his mind and releases a "Thinking in
>Ruby" book.
>That would be awesome.

Indeed that would be awesome.  The more Ruby books the better.  And when
people see someone embrace something that they formerly criticized that
definitely gets people interested (see St. Paul :)

So maybe we should be inviting Mr. Eckel over to try out Ruby for a while.
"Come on in, the water's fine!"

Phil