Hi Alan,

  In mail "[ruby-talk:17143] Re: Net::SMTP error"
    Alan Tsang <atsang / hk.linkage.net> wrote:

> Originally, I got some kind of authentication error if I do not provide
> parameter to smtp.start, therefore I provide the need authentication
> parameters to it.  However, I cannot reproduce this error anymore, now it
> just works fine for me without passing any parameter to smtp.start

Hummm. Did you pass first argument FROM_DOMAIN to start() ?
Some SMTP servers reject mail if FROM_DOMAIN is not correct.
"Correct domain" is, for example, the domain which the server
cannot lookup it from DNS, like dial-up host.

Net::SMTP tries to use gethostname(2) when first argument is
omitted, but it may not return "correct" host name.

Minero Aoki