On 12/20/05, Chad Perrin <perrin / apotheon.com> wrote:

> > Am i the only one that thinks Linux and IDE should not be in the same sentance?
>
> I guess that depends on how you mean that.

The power of GNU/Linux lies in the very fact that it is NOT an IDE.
You are taking it to mean development environment, and it certainly is
a fine one.

But the thing that makes GNU/Linux differ from any sort of IDE is that
it does not enforce a particular toolset over another one.  With some
effort, you can have an effectively standardized platform on linux,
but in general, it's a ton of tools duct taped together in the way the
individual developer enjoys most.

Calling it an IDE is an over abstraction... and is just plain wrong,
both in the sense of the word, and in the philisophical sense.
However, calling it a fine development platform that precludes the
need for an IDE, while controversial and debatable, would be something
I'd agree on.