> > Strong typing shortens development of large project involving large
> > stuff. I use Ruby only to call huge complicated application written in
> > strong-typed languages.
>
> Are there any studies that actually show that?

Consider the weakly type functional programming language Erlang used by
Ericsson to implement complex telephony systems.
Ericsson found tremendous speedups using this language - and even speedup
due to structural benefits and perhaps by avoiding converting data. Only in
real critical sections did they need to interface with C code.

This actually goes to prove the opposite. At least if you have programmers
skilled in the language they use, and a language that suits the job at hand.

Actually Erlang later were fitted with typechecking as long time request.
However in the huge code base of system libraries they had developed, they
found next to no type errors after applying the typechecker. (You could of
course argue about the quality of a retrofitted typechecker - but then they
do trust the code to run mission critical exchanges).

MikkelFJ