On Tuesday 20 December 2005 10:57 am, cyberco wrote:
> Bruce Eckel (author of amongst other popular books 'Thinking in
> Java') has doubts why anybody would switch from Python to Ruby.
> An interesting read:
>
> http://www.artima.com/weblogs/viewpost.jsp?thread=141312
>
> To quote him:
>
> "The person I want to hear from is the core Python expert,
> someone who knows that language incredibly well, who has decided
> that Ruby is just so much better that all the mature Python
> libraries and community expertise doesn't hold a candle to the
> value of moving to Ruby. That person would be able to make a
> compelling, feature-by-feature argument"
>
> Any Python experts here? :)

I'm nowhere near a Python expert (nor a Ruby one) but I'll tell you
one thing -- with Python you can make a private class member only
by prepending a double underscore, and there are no protected class
members at all. I think the encapsulation is better in Ruby.

Python's an excellent language, and I really appreciate its
subordination by indentation (see
http://www.troubleshooters.com/tpromag/199908/index.htm#_readability
for reasons).

SteveT