On Tue, 2005-12-20 at 09:26 +0900, Wilson Bilkovich wrote:
> On 12/18/05, Jules <Roseanna80 / hotmail.com> wrote:
> > Hello
> >
> > I am looking for a decent Ruby and RAILs editor.  (JEdit is not really
> > working out for me on Windows)
> >
> > I notice that on the Ruby on Rails Demos (Weblog and Flicker)  the guys
> > are using TextMate ( on MAC OS ?)  It seems pretty effective.
> >
> > Any views or ideas of an equivelent to TextMate that runs on Windows !
> > ( No I guess not !)
> >

> I've used UltraEdit for a long time, and it's a great editor. It has
> some nice 'project' features built in, but at its heart it's just a
> lightweight text editor.  Unfortunately, its syntax highlighting
> system just isn't powerful enough to handle Ruby, and definitely isn't
> up to handling ERb / RHTML files.
> Here's an example of what a text editor has to deal with:
> var = 'example'
>  print %Q- A fairly hard #{var}
>  -#{This is a comment, not a variable}
>
> So, in recent days, I've switched over to Vim, in the form of:
> http://cream.sourceforge.net
> I'm still getting used to it, and getting over the lack of tabs for my
> open files, but so far the "Ruby compatibility" is much higher.  It
> handles the highlighting for the above snippet of Ruby without any
> difficulty.

I'm also a Vim user, but without cream. But Vim isn't my only editor. I
also have used Jed and Emacs (yes, i have used Vim AND Emacs :p) in the
past.

I've found an interesting gui editor with the name "edit". Looks alot
like Textmate(I haven't used Textmate, just to clarify):
http://www.jessies.org/~enh/software/edit/