On 12/18/05, Jules <Roseanna80 / hotmail.com> wrote:
> Hello
>
> I am looking for a decent Ruby and RAILs editor.  (JEdit is not really
> working out for me on Windows)
>
> I notice that on the Ruby on Rails Demos (Weblog and Flicker)  the guys
> are using TextMate ( on MAC OS ?)  It seems pretty effective.
>
> Any views or ideas of an equivelent to TextMate that runs on Windows !
> ( No I guess not !)

I've used UltraEdit for a long time, and it's a great editor. It has
some nice 'project' features built in, but at its heart it's just a
lightweight text editor.  Unfortunately, its syntax highlighting
system just isn't powerful enough to handle Ruby, and definitely isn't
up to handling ERb / RHTML files.
Here's an example of what a text editor has to deal with:
var = 'example'
 print %Q- A fairly hard #{var}
 -#{This is a comment, not a variable}

So, in recent days, I've switched over to Vim, in the form of:
http://cream.sourceforge.net
I'm still getting used to it, and getting over the lack of tabs for my
open files, but so far the "Ruby compatibility" is much higher.  It
handles the highlighting for the above snippet of Ruby without any
difficulty.