Chad Perrin wrote:
> On Tue, Dec 20, 2005 at 01:34:01AM +0900, Gary Allum wrote:
>
>>Is there a clear cut purpose for ruby-talk, or can most any ruby topic
>>be discussed? Dont want to get too involved before knowing.
>

> As far as I can tell, there's no specific topic focus to ruby-talk --
> just some "anti topics" that get summarily directed elsewhere.  For
> instance, I've noticed that if you mention Rails in a question for
> ruby-talk you'll probably get one or two people telling you to go to the
> Rails list.
>
> Overall, ruby-talk is general-purpose.

Application or library-specific questions are best directed to a group
or list devoted to that topic, as one is most likely to get a faster,
more accurate response there.  Of course, if there are no other
resources, then one might as well ask here.

There are also a few topics that have come up so often that further
rehashing often seems pointless.  So, if one has questions about static
typing, or Ruby vs Python, or the 'best' IDE, some prior perusal of the
list archives is strongly encouraged.

Actually, that's not a bad idea in general.

http://groups.google.com/group/comp.lang.ruby?lnk=gschg
http://ruby-talk.org/ruby/ruby-talk/index.shtml

Least this sound too heavy-handed, please know that this list is filled
with some of the most gracious, helpful, smart people on the planet.
Don't be shy.

James