dylans / gmail.com <dylans / gmail.com> wrote:
> I've read though a bunch of the vim-ruby posts in this group,
> and others, and still can't get my vim-ruby installation
> functioning properly.  Here is what I've done:
>
> 1)   Installed the latest vim-ruby from RubyForge Did an "ruby
> gem vim-ruby", ran the "vim-ruby-install.rb".  Now, I have the
> necessary ruby'esque files in my VIM installation directory...
> ie:
>
> /usr/share/vim/vim63/syntax
> /usr/share/vim/vim63/ftplugin
> /usr/share/vim/vim63/ftdetect
> /usr/share/vim/vim63/compiler
> /usr/share/vim/vim63/indent
>
> I also confirmed that /usr/share/vim/vim63/filetype.vim has
> the proper line that identifies ruby files by the given
> extensions (*.rb, *.gem, *.ruby)
>

> 2)  I then created a .vimrc file in my home directory, and
> added the following, as per the instructions on the vim-ruby
> page:
>
> set nocompatible
> syntax on
> filetype on
> filetype indent on
> filetype plugin on
>

> 3)  Now, it doesn't work.

> when I hit "Tab", it inserts an actual Tab instead of
> 2 spaces,

The vim-ruby set of vim configuration files do not change the
tabstop/softtabstop/shiftwidth/et al options.  As it says at
<http://www.rubygarden.org/ruby?VimRubySupport>, these are
inappropriate for a system-wide plugin, since they reflect user
preferences.

> and things like autocompleting "IF's" doesn't work
> by doing the Shift+Enter combination.

I attempted the "if"-statement completion at at the URL above.
If it still won't work for you, you might have better luck at
the vim-ruby ML at
<http://rubyforge.org/pipermail/vim-ruby-devel/>.

HTH,
Tim Hammerquist