On Dec 19, 2005, at 10:32 AM, Jules wrote:

> So many different ideas and tools, but they tend to be orientated
> around
> unix type midntset.

Well, Ruby grew up on Unix.  That an it's just a good mindset.  ;)

> The problem is that I am not very smart or clever, so I have relied
> upon C# and Visual Studio, which I find to be very robust.

Sure you are.  You're a programmer.  ;)

You've also located a nice support group for the hard parts...

> My ideal would be Visual Studio for Ruby, even if it is a dynamic
> language
> outside of the Managed code environment. Robust code completion and
> generation tools.
>
> If Ruby/Rails is to take off in a big way we need simple/ robust
> development environment for us simple folk.  Just my view.

Sadly, building these kinds of environments for Ruby are much harder
than they are for C#, because Ruby is so dynamic it's hard to make
safe assumptions about the code.  This is the most likely reason you
don't see Visual Studio equivalent tools for Ruby.

I know we do have some IDEs and I hope they will continue to improve
for those that prefer that method of coding.

James Edward Gray II