On Dec 19, 2005, at 6:43 AM, Jeff Wood wrote:

> ... Anyways, the other option would be to use Ruby under windows
> with the compiled in ODBC drivers ... then access the MSSQL
> database and do whatever you want ...  This option is possible from
> *nix, but it's a bit wierd since you need to access the MSSQL
> database using Sybase drivers ( since that's all MSSQL really uses
> for it's protocol, just a heavily modified version of the Sybase
> protocol since MSSQL started life as just a modified version of the
> Sybase server... )

My team has just begun writing a few data manipulation scripts in
Ruby using ActiveRecord. We use it in ADO mode. To do so, we

* installed Ruby using the one-click Windows installer (http://
rubyinstaller.rubyforge.org/wiki/wiki.pl)
* updated RubyGems ( c:\> gem update --system )
* installed ActiveRecord ( c:\> gem install activerecord )
* followed the directions here (http://wiki.rubyonrails.com/rails/
pages/HowtoConnectToMicrosoftSQLServer) to set up ADO

The great thing about it is that we can issue raw SQL when needed,
and we can use the ORM features of ActiveRecord when it's beneficial
to do so.

Good luck,
Craig