On 12/18/05, gwtmp01 / mac.com <gwtmp01 / mac.com> wrote:

> I hope you don't mean reading/writing to the raw device.   I would
> do a whole lot of other things before I would drop down to
> raw device access. Premature optimization is not a good thing.

nah... it would require filesystem interfaces to the block mapping in
the inode - I don't know if such things exist and they certainly
aren't portable, but it seems like it could be a very efficient way to
drop data out of the middle of the file. Probably over-optimizing
though.

Of course if the records were fixed sized and block aligned, the
shuffling would be pretty efficient and the extra level of
optimization would likely be overkill.

-Charlie