Gregory Brown wrote:
> On 12/18/05, Chad Perrin <perrin / apotheon.com> wrote:
>
>>On Mon, Dec 19, 2005 at 04:32:37AM +0900, James Britt wrote:
>>
>>>(I'm quite happy using vim, Windows file manager, and a handful of
>>>custom Ruby shell scripts and Unix command ports for finding and
>>>manipulating stuff from the command line. If there's something else find
>>
>>Care to share any details?
>

> When I'm on windows the first thing I do is install MSys/MingGW.
> This lets me use cmd.exe and avoid the mess that is cygwin.   MSys
> gives you 'most' of the necessary unix commands, meaning you could
> then hack together scripts using backticks or even platform
> independant scripts with Ruby and that should do the trick.
>
> I too use vim on OS X, FreeBSD, a slew of linux distros and windows.
> Nice to be able to have the same editor act (mostly) the same way on
> so many systems...

There are also the gnu-win32 tools, which give you the usual
ls/grep/diff/yadayada as ordinary windows command line programs, and you
don't need the MSYS baggage:

http://gnuwin32.sourceforge.net/

(Though if you want the gcc build chain or you need a BASH-like
environment for other reasons, MSYS/MinGW is the way to go.)