In mail "[ruby-talk:17137] Re: Net::SMTP error"
    Alan Tsang <atsang / hk.linkage.net> wrote:

> Oops, surprisingly, I can use the class method even without passing
> authentication info such as acct and passwd.

It is the feature of SMTP. Legacy SMTP does not require
any authentications for sender.

> While I got the error as my last post after creating an smtp object

Please write error message/stack dump on the mail.
What error did raised? ProtoSyntaxError?

A typical usage of Net::SMTP is:

    Net::SMTP.start( 'your.smtp.server' ) {|smtp|
      smtp.send_mail msg, 'your / mail.address', 'dest / mail.address'
    }

or

    smtp = Net::SMTP.new( 'your.smtp.server' )
    smtp.start {
      smtp.send_mail msg, 'your / mail.address', 'dest / mail.address'
    }

Minero Aoki