On 12/16/05, Hal Fulton <hal9000 / hypermetrics.com> wrote:

> What's the magic to get this going on Debian?

Assuming you're using Ruby 1.8 you need to

apt-get install libruby1.8

it replaces libzlib-ruby1.8

FWIW I've never used libzlib, but have (and do) use ruby on debian.

I usually use debian's ruby package, and libs such as fcgi/mysql
I haven't seen a rubygem package for debian since 8.4, which can still
be used if you do the following
# gem install rubygems-update
AND
# update_rubygems

Although it's just as easy to install rubygems from source, and lately
I've just been doing that.

For Rails, I ALWAYS use rubygems to install it. I've never had luck
with the debian packages.

Obviously it's kind of a try and see type of thing, there really is no
"right way".
As silly as this sounds, I typically install gems via gem (rubygems)
and anything that starts with lib via apt. ;)

The following commands help alot while searching for ruby packages via
apt, just replace "libruby1.8" with whatever you're looking for.
apt-cache search libruby1.8 | grep ruby
apt-cache search ruby | grep libruby1.8
apt-cache show libruby1.8

HTH