I've been looking into coding for a while now and would really like to
start. Thanks to Google and a few friends I found Ruby and think it
would be an excellent place to start.

I've installed ruby (It says it's Ruby 182-15, I'm sure it's outdated
now, since I did it several months back) and started to read through
several guides (Learning Ruby and Why's (poignant) guide to Ruby). But
the things don't match up to the stuff which comes with the Ruby
install, or it's aimed at a different OS.

I'm currently running Windows 98 (I don't need any more, so no reason to
update) and the Ruby install comes with some documentation and FreeRIDE
and SciTE editor. It seems FreeRIDE is the thing to use for basic stuff.
So I open it and type in something basic (Print 'hello world') and run
it.

Nothing runs when I do it. The terminal says "Cannot find file 'CMD' <or
one of it components>. Check to ensure path and filename are correct and
that all required libraries are avaiable." and FreeRide's output view
says

">ruby C:\ruby\freeride\untitled1.rb
>exit".

So really I'm getting no where really fast.

The guides don't seem to be much help either. They seem to drag
everything out with totally useless examples which explain nothing. I'm
not really a fan of guides written for complete idiots where instead of
going "Try this, this is why it works, the commands involve do X,Y,Z",
which I find much easier to read and can just get down to work with.

So really I'm looking for some help.. A link to a no non-sense guide (I
mean I love cartoon foxs and all but..) and some help as to how the hell
you get a decent program to use the guide with working correctly.

Thanks for any help.
Mikari