Hi,

In message "[ruby-talk:17094] Re: Is the ruby GC compacting ?"
    on 01/06/30, Todd Gillespie <toddg / linux128.ma.utexas.edu> writes:

|: It's not, and will not be compacting GC.  I've been pretty nice to
|: extension writers, mostly because me myself is one of them.
|
|???

Since compacting GC moves addresses of objects, it makes writing
extension hard.

|I've been looking at embedding Ruby in very long-running applications, and
|I would assume that generational GC is the way to go here....
|
|Do you have a future design goal for Ruby's GC?

Mark-sweep based generational, non-compacting GC.  It will be merged
to the development branch real soon.  Masato Kiyama has come up with
the implementation.

							matz.