On 12/15/05, James Britt <james_b / neurogami.com> wrote:
> Bill Guindon wrote:
> ..
>
> > I'm sure you know all of this, but just the same...
> >
> > You should point them to the success of AWDWROR [1].  It certainly is
> > a new/controversial idea, but it seems to be win/win.
>
> Some counterpoints for consideration:
>
> * In contrast to offering a free online version (if even only prior to
> publication) the pay-to-preview approach means you get fewer eyeballs
> and have fewer bug reports & suggestions prior to publication.
> Open-to-all improves quality.

Without a doubt, it would, but I think it would be a tough sell to
publishers who seem to be convinced that it would reduce future sales.
 Pay-to-preview may mean fewer eyeballs than a free preview, but it's
more eyeballs than no preview (the traditional approach).

> * It is indeed great for publishers, because they get consumers to
> commit cash early, where waiting for the book to be finished risks
> potential buyers opting to spend  their money elsewhere.  First to
> market has a big advantage.  But how does the buyer "return" and get a
> refund for a PDF download?

I don't pretend to have the answer to that one.  Others far smarter
than me have been stumped by it for decades.

Currently, return policies are up to the producer of the content.  As
long as they make that policy known, I can make an informed choice
when I decide whether or not to buy a digital version.

Over the years, I've bought many books, but only a few PDFs.  I
haven't wanted to return any of them.  For now, I'm really not all
that concerned about return policies -- but that's just me.

--
Bill Guindon (aka aGorilla)