On Fri, 16 Dec 2005, Patrick Hurley wrote:

> Shifting the focus of the thread a little bit, but what would your
> idea table of contents look like in an Advanced Ruby book?
>
> Off the top of my head randomly ordered:
>
> * Variable Scope
> * Regular Expressions
> * Unit Testing
  * Integration Testing
  * User Interface testing (Web, GUI)
  {
> * Module
> * Class
  }  Probably rolled together =>
  * OO design practices in Ruby (Design pattern 'thumbnails', etc)
> * Metaprogramming
> * Domain Specific Languages
    * including Parsers, XML, YAML, etc
  * Functional, logic, and Aspect oriented programming in Ruby
> * Continuations
    * including Continuation Passing style
> * Threads and Processes
    * Can you pass some of the work to Unix (an OS really geared up
      for threads and procs)? And what to do if you are on VMS,
      Windows, or others.
> * Extensions
> * Embedding Ruby
  * Security, $SAFE in depth, [cryptography, hashing].intro
  * Performance, benchmarking, profiling, and data structure
    selection advice
  * Ruby as a tool to aid ruby development:
     Project automation, version control, ruby within and
     around your favourite editor, documentation (RD, RDoc,
     PDFs, and LaTeX) tools, and what scripting
     might help in the developent process.

Packaged as an electronic book because the paper version would
be too big!

> pth

        Hugh