sms <szot.shaun <at> gmail.com> writes:

> Trying to install ruby-ldap on solaris x86 I keep recieving an error
> that I'm not sure how to resolve. Does anyone know what could be wrong
> or have any suggestions as to what I might try?
>
> make: *** [saslconn.o] Error 1

I feel your pain. I tried compiling it on Solaris 10 SPARC using some slightly
old Netscape SDK libraries, the native LDAP libraries installed with the OS
(derived from the Netscape libs), and then against some openldap-2.2.23 libs
that I know work because they're linked into Postfix. After all of that, still
no go.

I have to say this is the thing that will really hold back Ruby. I know there
are various efforts from RRA and whatnot to get like the CPAN environment, but
Ruby really needs to focus on this. It was a hell of a lot easier to blow in the
perl-ldap extension. Most users simply are not going to jump through all of
these hoops, and I have to admit I'm about to give up myself.