Ryan Leavengood wrote:
> On 12/15/05, Neil Stevens <neil / hakubi.us> wrote:

<<bunch of snipped stuff about rudeness and such>>

I'm kind of new here, but it seems like debating the quality of one
another's rudeness is slightly OT.

Incidentally, I earned my living as a back-end Perl programmer for a
couple years early in my career. I wrote literate OO code in Perl. The
thing I loved about Perl was that, like a natural language, there were
several ways to say the same thing some obvious, some flowery, some a
bit too terse. Among the things I did *not* like about Perl were some of
the whacky implicit variables like $1, etc, and especially @_. However,
I never needed to use them explicitly, because when I wanted them they
were always there implicitly (Those who know Perl know what I am saying.)

My point is this: I am (or was) a Perl programmer and I do not like the
"Perlish" syntax one bit. I didn't like it in Perl, and I don't like it
in Ruby either. However, I object to the notion that Perlishness makes
it offensive. Non-obviousness is what makes it offensive. The matcher
syntax is much clearer.