Bill Guindon wrote:
..

> I'm sure you know all of this, but just the same...
>
> You should point them to the success of AWDWROR [1].  It certainly is
> a new/controversial idea, but it seems to be win/win.

Some counterpoints for consideration:

* In contrast to offering a free online version (if even only prior to
publication) the pay-to-preview approach means you get fewer eyeballs
and have fewer bug reports & suggestions prior to publication.
Open-to-all improves quality.

* It is indeed great for publishers, because they get consumers to
commit cash early, where waiting for the book to be finished risks
potential buyers opting to spend  their money elsewhere.  First to
market has a big advantage.  But how does the buyer "return" and get a
refund for a PDF download?

James