Hi --

On Fri, 16 Dec 2005, Gavri Fernandez wrote:

> On 12/16/05, James Britt <james_b / neurogami.com> wrote:
>> I have high expectations for David Black's forthcoming book.  I'd be
>> hard pressed to name another person I'd like to see a Ruby book from.
>
> The book is called "Ruby for Rails" and the subtitle is "The Ruby you
> need to master Rails". David Black is a great candidate to write that
> Advanced Ruby book I wish existed, but I don't think it's this one. I
> hope I'm wrong though.

Hmmm... that subtitle is actually a bit off: it's "Ruby techniques for
Rails developers" (as per the cover), though I see that it's listed
the way you've got it on at least one website.  I'll put the official
version in my sig :-)

In any case, the book is basically written for the "coming to Ruby
through Rails" constituency, broadly speaking.  It covers some (not
all) of the topics that are coming up on people's table of contents
ideas for advanced Ruby.  I think that's partly because of my belief
that some in things in Ruby, while certainly in a sense advanced, are
more accessible and learnable than their reputations sometimes
suggest.  So, while working from the basics, I don't hesitate to aim
fairly high.

David

--
David A. Black
dblack / wobblini.net

"Ruby for Rails: Ruby techniques for Rails developers",
forthcoming from Manning Publications, April 2006!