I know I said I'd shut up, and I am, but I did feel that after some of
the messages that have popped since mine, that I should have a final
comment...

I do apologize to you all for causing such grief.  I was simply trying
to add my $0.02 as what I thought was best practice ... and made the
assumption that most people were doing things that way ( I don't use
the ${x} vars at all, but I bet you knew that already )...

I'm not saying that people are bad coders for using those, I didn't
think I was being insulting in my OP. I was simply suggesting that I
thought it a better practice to show the most oop way of doing things
in code sent to newer programmers ...

Truly, if anybody took offense, it was unintentional.  If you knew me
better, you would understand that I tend to be passionate about things,
especially when it comes to teaching the next gen of programmers and/or
users of Ruby...

So, peace, love, and joyful programming to you all, I will try to be
more cautious with my posts in the future.

j.