On 12/15/05, Neil Stevens <neil / hakubi.us> wrote:

> It's unfortunate that you think it's rude to point out facts that are
> uncomfortable to you.  It's unfortunate that you're apparently seeing
> personal attacks that don't exist.

And what "facts" have you mentioned?

To me, the magic variables fit fine with regex.

I find it really hard to understand why people are complaining about
using a little $1 after some string of absolutely cryptic pattern
matching sequences.

People tend to like Ruby's regex system because it's perl-like, no?

But in the interest of preserving TIMTOWTDI, there is an object
oriented solution which many posters have already mentioned.

James saying that it was common practice, and providing evidence of it
is much more reasonable than you simply insulting people you don't
know.

A quote from Arnold in Kindergarden Cop, "Stop Whining!" applies very well here.
You're free to never use $1 .. $n, so I don't see what the issue is.