On 12/16/05, Phil Tomson <ptkwt / aracnet.com> wrote:
> Sorry for replying twice, but I wanted to get to this idea of translating
> Japanese books.  In Japan they have lots of smaller books that cover the
> libraries.  They basically have a similar form factor to O'Reilly pocket
> guides.  I think that's the way to cover libraries.  One person may be very
> interested in GUI programming but has absolutely no interest in network
> programming (and vice verse).  Plus, as a library changes, the smaller
> single-focus book will be able to keep up with the changes much more easily.

The Pragmatic Programmers are doing it
http://pragmaticprogrammer.com/shopsite_sc/store/html/page5.html

> Also, up till now there has been no Japanese Ruby book translated into
> English (except for perahaps Ruby in a Nutshell). I suspect that there are
> good reasons for this.

I guess the good hackers can't get interested in a translating job and
the not-so-good ones aren't approached by publishers.
Please. Could somebody make the sacrifice and translate a few books for us? :)

--
gavri
http://www.livejournal.com/users/ga_woo/