In article <e3ecfac70512151053y523c7364ha47b2b79b8985f8d / mail.gmail.com>,
Gavri Fernandez  <gavri.fernandez / gmail.com> wrote:

>Aren't there "Advanced Ruby" books in japanese that could be
>translated? I've been hoping for a long time someone would translate
>that "Ruby Internals" book and others like it. But all I see is
>another cookbook from O'Reilly and a bunch of Rails books. There's a
>huge market here. I, for example, would buy any book that says
>"Advanced Ruby" on the cover (without even bothering to open the book
>and check out the contents) :-)

Sorry for replying twice, but I wanted to get to this idea of translating
Japanese books.  In Japan they have lots of smaller books that cover the
libraries.  They basically have a similar form factor to O'Reilly pocket
guides.  I think that's the way to cover libraries.  One person may be very
interested in GUI programming but has absolutely no interest in network
programming (and vice verse).  Plus, as a library changes, the smaller
single-focus book will be able to keep up with the changes much more easily.

Also, up till now there has been no Japanese Ruby book translated into
English (except for perahaps Ruby in a Nutshell). I suspect that there are
good reasons for this.

Phil