From: "Neil Stevens" <neil / hakubi.us>

> Hold on, this wasn't really my mistake, I think.  How is one supposed to
> know a dollar-sign variable isn't always global?
>
> This sounds to me like some special-case hackery done to keep careless
> coders from shooting themselves in the foot.

I think it's more like when the intrepid Ruby nuby first notices
a method not suffixed with ! that modifies the receiver--and
posts to the list: This is inconsistent! This can't be right!
This violates POLS! etc.!  "All methods that modify the receiver
should end in !, right???"

And Matz points out that the rationale is somewhat different. . . .

Similarly, it doesn't seem reasonable to condemn method-local $1..$n
as special-cace hackery designed to benefit careless coders, so much
as Ruby behaving in the most naturally useful way possbile.

Huzzah!  &c.  :)

Regards,

Bill