On Fri, Jun 29, 2001 at 11:36:03PM +0900, Sean Russell wrote:
> I vastly prefer Ruby to Java, but that doesn't mean that I wouldn't have done
> some things a bit differently had I had the great genius to invent Ruby.
> Luckily, I can create a library to include in my programs that renames or
> changes (almost) anything about Ruby that I don't like.  I can not do this in
> Java, and therein lies part of the reason I choose Ruby over Java when I can.

In general, I don't think this is a very good idea. If you rename
standard features of ruby, such as #to_i to #toInteger you will
confuse anyone who tries to read your source. Even when you are only
writing for yourself I think it is better to follow the standard,
because eventually you will write something that someone else will
read.

So follow the standard even if you don't agree with it. When in Ruby,
do as the Rubonians. When in Java, do as the Javanese.

// Niklas