> |As for __FreeBSD__ not being set correctly... the stock compiler really
> |/should/ be setting it to the version major, and I don't remember a time
> |when it wasn't (or at least wasn't meant to).
>
> Hmm, does this due to improper gcc configuration on Bob's box, or else?
> How did you install your gcc, Bob?

The FreeBSD device I am using is produced by my company, and the gcc
compiler on it is pre-installed and is not the standard FreeBSD
distribution. I suspect it might be incorrectly built/installed (I will look
into it).

I did find someone at my company who has a vanilla FreeBSD 4.2 installed,
and gcc's __FreeBSD__ variable is indeed set to 4.

It looks like the problem I observed might be specific to my installation
(although it *could* be a problem of older versions of FreeBSD). Because of
your help in locating the problem, though, I was able to build a
properly-working Ruby for it -- thanks!

Bob