On Thursday 28 June 2001 10:07, you wrote:
> What specifically do you like better about Java's IO library?

Input and Output streams and writers, and the ability to fairly easily chain
them.

For example, what I *dislike* about Ruby IO is the legacy "modes" in open().
I'd rather have:

   fin = FileReader.new( "blah" )
   fout = FileWriter.new( "blah2" )

than

   fin = File.new( "blah" )
   fout = File.new( "blah2", "w+" )

'Course, it would be easy to add them, but my point is that some classes
aren't *quite* as OO as the ones in Java.

This is just picking nits, but it illustrates that, often you see stuff in
Ruby that mirror C (which is in no way OO) rather than Java or even C++.

--- SER