On 2005.12.12 17:07, Chad Perrin <perrin / apotheon.com> wrote:
> On Mon, Dec 12, 2005 at 03:30:50PM +0900, Hal Fulton wrote:
> > Mark Ericson wrote:
> > >I'm curious why "class method" is being avoided?   It certainly seems
> > >accurate and matches the use of class methods by languages such as
> > >Smalltalk
> > >and Objective-C.
> >
> > I think "class method" is used in our community, but it is considered
> > a special case -- it's just a singleton method on an object which happens
> > to be a class. A singleton method on an object which isn't a class --
> > well, that obviously isn't a class method.
>
> By the way . . . has anyone considered a name like "singular"?  What
> about "ad lib" instead of "ad hoc"?
>
> I've gotta say, though, that I'm partial to the descriptor "eigen".

I advocate "pouch" :)

In any case, it might be wise to hold some sort of a poll (or perhaps
Matz can be coerced to pick the one he prefers) because I have noticed
a trend of different groups using different terms for the same thing
which in turn has caused some confusion about the feature in general.