> This point is largely moot though since if we're talking about competent
> developers, then they will find Jam much easier than make and even the less
> competent should cope. Here's a sample from the Jam homepage:
>
> Main smail : main.c map.c resolve.c deliver.c
>                  misc.c parser.y alias.c pw.c headers.c
>                  scanner.l getpath.c str.c ;
>
> That small Jamfile contains everything needed to compile the .c files into .o
> or .obj files depending on the platform and then to link smail or smail.exe
> from those object files. It also creates useful pseudo targets like 'clean'
> automatically, and it will also scan the .c files for #include's and update
> the dependency graph accordingly. How much easier could it be?

You know what I really like about Makefiles? They are completely
archaic. It's true... I like having to write inline shell code that
is quoted weirdly and lines that end with a \. ;-)

Points taken, Tony. However, until Matz decides to support Jam for
the mkmkf.rb stuff I guess it is a moot point for the Ruby
community at large. Mind you, I am not *for* such a change.