Stephan wrote:

> Thanks for your help, but I still didn't get it working.
>
> I have MySQL version 4.1.15 and I have set old_passwords=0 in the MySQL
> config file. So the MySQL version should not be a problem here, right?
>
> I installed the gem with the command given above, with the following
> result:
> gem install mysql -- --with-mysql-lib=/usr/lib/mysql
> <...cut...>
> Successfully installed mysql-2.7
>
> After this the problem remains. There is a slight difference in the
> error message, it is now: "Access denied for user 'members'@'localhost'
> to database 'dev_members'", so the error number is missing now.
>
> Any more ideas?

Have you tried running mysql client from the command line with the same
login params to see if it gives you the same errors ?

mysql -umembers -p dev_members

If it lets you login in then the database is set up correctly.  If it
doesn't then your database permissions may need attention.  You also
might want to try setting the Host column in the members table to '%'
just to test.  I often set Host to '%' for testing inside of a private
network, as it's fairly benign from a security perspective; don't do
that on a production network though.  It might need a fully qualified
hostname, you could try 'localhost.localdomain' which is the default for
a FC4 host without a proper DNS server.

Yan