Hi all

Have been following the discussion regarding who should control the language
growth.  I have nothing against committees.  No that?s a lie.  Anyhow my
$0.02 or with our dollar $0.002 cents worth.

Matz (I hope its ok to use your short name ) I believe is the sole author of
the language and has invested a lot of time and effort in design and
development (promotion is another story).  Until he is willing to pass on
the development to a committee or person due to other commitments, time or
boredom, the language should stay in his control.  It is his baby and
ultimately his decision.

The only thing I would like to see is maybe a sharing of development to
speed up the bug fixes and more timely stable versions.  From the messages I
can see that there are a number of very bright individuals in this group.
Their comments and observations keep the language evolving nicely.  You know
who you are.

Design by committee from history and experience is the road to madness.
Some of the most innovative languages have been developed by a single person
or a few designers.   Take C, Pascal and C# as examples, and then look at
what happened to  C++ (apologies to the C++ people out there).  While Matz
has certain ideas about language which seem esoteric (from my point of view)
I believe he has a better vision of the future and I?m hanging on for the
thrill of the ride.

I was also looking at using Ruby as a teaching tool for OO programming (yes
I?m an academic if you want to hold it against me).  A few of the features I
think would be hard to explain to students without a good grounding in OO
(my feeling and I would have a hell of a time convincing other lecturers,
"you want to use what?").  I think Java will do nicely for now :)

BTW love the Ruby book thanks Dave.  Made the language a whole lot more fun
to learn.  I still remember the goose bumps when I read the initial
translated introduction to Ruby.  Looking forward to the new book from Matz
if it ever gets published :(  And a big hallo and thankyou to Matz for
creating a language that puts a smile on my face and in my head.  The man is
just too dam clever.

Sorry for rambling on, you know us academics all gas bags

Cheers

Srecko

Dave Thomas <Dave / PragmaticProgrammer.com> wrote in news:Nfy_6.76023
$yz5.3294063 / e420r-sjo2.usenetserver.com: