jweirich / one.net wrote:

>     Johann> Is there any way that you can find the source code of a
>     Johann> ruby method or class by introspecting it?  In Python, I
>     Johann> believe, functions carry around information about the
>     Johann> source file and line position at which they were defined.
>     Johann> Is there a similar feature in Ruby?
>
> Actually, I would like to see this too.

So would I, but I see another side to it: while using irb, it happens
that there is no single file containing all the modifications I have
typed, so it seems to me that some kind of buffer needs to be
implemented to store all the code that ruby reads/parses before that
code gets 'merged' into the running interpreter. This can be done in
such a way to also allow for special built-in 'help' strings/documentation :-)
And, since it would slow things down, it could perhaps be made switchable,
like the 'debug' switch. Just call it the 'source' switch or something.

Guy N. Hurst

--
HurstLinks Web Development    http://www.hurstlinks.com/
Norfolk, VA  23510            (757)623-9688 FAX 623-0433