T,

> Any given
> class can have infinitely many  singleton subclases, no?

Oops.  This statement from the page you linked to seems to answer that
question:

If 'a' already has a singleton class then any more singleton methods you
define are just added to it.

Does this mean that a class can have only one singleton subclass and
that all methods added anywhere in the program are added to that single
instance?  If so, I wonder why this is.  It seems to me to be more
useful if you can have infinitely many singleton subclasses.  I suppose
you still can have divergence of this sort with individual instances,
but why not with the class itself?

--J