x1 wrote:
> I have not been able to figure anything out yet myself.

I figured.

> Do you know off hand how one would be able to find any variable
> names(if exist) that are pointing to a given object?

Just last week, Joel VanderWerf wrote, in "Re: Memory Leaks: How to see GC
Roots?":
> There's a ruby patch to show what objects are reachable from the roots
> (and the chain of references in each case):
>
> http://blade.nagaokaut.ac.jp/cgi-bin/vframe.rb/ruby/ruby-talk/151854?151368-152549
>
> It should easy to modify it to just show the roots.

In the same thread, Stephen Kellett posted a link to a product called Ruby
Memory Validator, which lists as a feature "References view. Display the
object reference graph for the application," and the screenshot looks like
it would deal well with this issue.
http://www.softwareverify.com/rubyMemoryValidator/feature.html

I have not actually operated either of these two possible solutions.

> For instance when looking at ObjectSpace.cantremembermethodname(Array)
> You get something like:
> ["notepad", nil, nil, 333]
>
> How would one be able to determine the object id and / or any variable
> names associated with it?

But, it just occurred to me, you could cheat and do something like this to
get the array:
pid = nil
ObjectSpace.each_object(Array) do |arr|
  pid = arr[3] if arr.size == 4 && arr[0, 3] == ["notepad", nil, nil]
end

There you go - recover it from the object pool without knowing where the
references to it are/were.

Cheers,
Dave