"Brett W. Denner" wrote:

> Does Ruby have equivalents to the Perl functions -B and -T? (in Perl, -B
> returns true if the file it operates on contains binary data, otherwise
> false;  -T performs in like fashion for a text file.)

I looked this up before, and just did it again.
I found no evidence, neither in the pickaxe nor in file.c,
that Ruby supports this.

There are no filetest 'operators' in Ruby, but you can use
Kernel#test with a parameter formed by the '?' syntax, e.g. ?A.

test(?A, "somefile.ext")

Ruby is missing perl's -B, -t, and -T equivalents, but it has
the other ones (?s and ?M are not exactly the same, though).

Guy N. Hurst

--
HurstLinks Web Development    http://www.hurstlinks.com/
Norfolk, VA  23510            (757)623-9688 FAX 623-0433