On Dec 6, 2005, at 8:17 PM, Austin Ziegler wrote:

> On 12/5/05, robertj <robert_kuzelj / yahoo.com> wrote:
>> that seems to handle most of my requirements also
>> i would prefer a more "declarative" approach.
>
> You will, however, find that such a module and approach gets in your
> way of writing quality Ruby code.
>
> You may not want to debate the merits of static vs. dynamic typing,
> but if you're wanting static typing, then Ruby may not be what you
> really want.

Amen!  I so agree.

I did my time in the Java trenches and I understand static typing
well.  Heck, every time I read another Design Patterns book, it takes
me a week to get back to coding idiomatic Ruby.  Nothing else feels
right though.

It really is a mindset change.  At least make sure you give it a try,
before you abandon the benefits.

Ruby was meant to be free and she'll fight you if you try to reign
her in.  ;)

James Edward Gray II