--sWsOVxl/KnBAaKXkn9l

On Wed, 2005-12-07 at 06:32 +0900, David A. Black wrote:

> Natural selection isn't connected to what we're talking about.  If you
> mean we should ignore Matz, or find a way to coerce him into changing his
> terminology to match a bunch of Google searches

I think the disadvantages to the alternate terminology have been laid
out pretty clearly in this thread already.  People can make informed
decisions.

People are going to do what they want.  Neither you nor I (nor even
Matz, really) can control that.  Ruby is a living culture, with give and
take and evolving terminology.

> -- while, meanwhile, a lot of newcomers to Ruby suffer because of how
> cool people think their names for singleton classes are --  then I don't
> think you've got a sound or respectful plan.

Plan?  I'm just being realistic.

I've been close to a few ill-fated open source projects where the
prevailing attitude was that insisting on anything different from what
the project founder specifies is disrespectful and destructive.  That
attitude was deadly.

I've also been involved with a few projects (and cofounded one --
Inkscape) which were wildly successful, growing organically and
developing broad communities.  People were free to do their own thing,
and yet the project leaders were more respected.  Sometimes things do
get messy and confusing, but in my experience, even those messy and
confusing things work out in the end.

[ I'll leave it to others to decide which description better fits
Ruby. ]

I'm not a Taoist, but I think the notion of "striving-without-striving"
describes the necessary ethic nicely.  Relax.  This is not about control
or respect or disrespect or the Ultimate Fate of Ruby.

-mental

--sWsOVxl/KnBAaKXkn9l

--sWsOVxl/KnBAaKXkn9l--