just talking out loud here, trying to rule out the obvious.

first, can you ping gems.rubyforge.org?

at a command line, what happens when you type

   telnet gems.rubyforge.org 80

then type Control-D ENTER?
You should see HTML.
If not, can you

	telnet www.yahoo.com 80
	Control-D ENTER ENTER

Again, you should see a bunch of HTML.

Can you (perhaps temporarily) turn off the Windows firewall (it's on by default).
   Control Panel -> Network Connections
		right click on 'Local Area Connection' and select 'Properties'
		Choose 'Advanced' tab, and select 'Windows Firewall' settings,
                 and then turn it off.

Do you have any other firewall software installed?

Does your computer sit behind a proxy server?
	If so, does the proxy server filter out some sites/ports?

Have you tried rebooting your computer, and, if you have a firewall,
rebooting the firewall?

do you see anything unusual when you do,
	netstat -a

If you are running a bunch of concurrent tcp/ip sessions, have you tried
changing the maximum number of allowed connections with
   EvID4226Patch.exe
   http://blog.davidkaspar.com/archives/2005/04/windows-xp-sp2-and-event-id-4226.php
   http://lvllord.de/?lang=en&url=downloads

Are you logged on as an administrator?

Have you recently changed settings in 'Administrative Tools' -> 'Local Security Settings'?

Does 'Administrative Tools' -> 'Event Viewer' show any errors
that could be causing this?

If none of those helped, I'm at a loss.

Windows XP ProSP2 (32 bit)
Cygwin Ruby 1.8.3