Dear Ladies and Gentlemen,

Are there installation instructions for Mac OS X somewhere?

Log so far:

- Downloaded source files, unzipped, removed the black stuff.
- Read the README.  Accordingly:
- Checked that configure was a recent copy.
- typed ./configure
- typed make
- typed make test (successful)
- typed sudo make install
   (didn't know at this stage that mac already comes with ruby installed.
   The last step probably replaced the preinstalled version if any.
   I don't really mind as the impression I get of Ruby is that it's a fast
   developing language and so it's worth having the most up to date copy.)

Now the exciting bit: typed ruby.
Basically nothing happens.  I can type commands but there is no prompt and
the commands never return anything:

.../Languages/Ruby/ruby-1.8.3 max$ ruby
1
1*2
print "ElloElloEllo"
[pressed control C to escape]

Is there any more information I need to provide when compiling?

On the ruby wiki the installation instructions mention how to inform the
compiler of the location of X11, Tk, Tcl and a few other packages like
that, however make test succeeded so I doubt this.  What are all the
dependencies?  Why, for instance, might X11 be needed for a command line
program?

Does any of you use Mac OS X?  How do you compile?  Did you have to
install any other packages first?

Best Wishes, Max