I am joining a company in Minnesota/USA where:
1. Only a few people use Perl,
2. Some heard about Tcl, Expect,
3. Nobody knows anything about Python,
4. And everybody thinks Ruby is a sport!

I am interested in creating a Ruby success story here. Considering the fact
that the principal product of the company is power control system.
Q1: Is Ruby up to the task?
(That is, can you use Ruby to do everything you do with C/C++ in term of
speed, performance, thread, etc. for a huge critical application?)
Q2: Is the current GUI for Ruby usable?
Q3: Does Ruby have the popular interfaces to RDBMS (Oracle, Informix, etc.)?

The company is using mainly Pascal, C/C++, SQLPlus, SQLForm and Unix Shell
on AIX.

Dat