vjoel wrote:
> I'd love to try it. Any idea how to hack the Makefiles generated by
> mkmf.rb to fix the "MSVCR80.DLL missing" problem? Can you compile any
> ruby extension successfully with 8.0?
>
> Do you know that LTCG is included in the Express version? ISTR that some
> optimization features (maybe profile guided optimization) were not in
> the express edition. However, the Property Page for Linker/Optimization
> seems to allow setting LTCG and PGO.

I'm *very* new to Ruby, so I haven't really tried anything yet. But I
just got a copy of VS 2005 Pro, so I'm itchin' to try. Now if I could
just find some spare time...

Do you know if there is a benchmark that would give an idea of the
relative speed of the interpreter over a representative workload, or
could perhaps be used as the scenario for tthe profile-guided
optimization?

One more question: is there a 64-bit Ruby?