On 11/30/05, Isaac Gouy <igouy / yahoo.com> wrote:

> You might have more luck searching for VisualWorks, VisualAge,
> Resilient,...
>
> If we took your evidence at face value then we might say Ruby has 3.5
> times more mentions than Smalltalk, a decade after the peak of
> Smalltalk popularity - being mentioned is good, but it isn't the same
> as being used and only the barest first step towards "catching on" :-)

You are right of course. I don't think any real determination can be
made on how prevalent Ruby and Smalltalk are at the moment. But as you
say the peak of Smalltalk popularity was a decade ago (and Ruby was
non-existent), so one might be able to guess that at this point Ruby
is slightly more popular than Smalltalk. Either way I don't think it
matters much anyhow: in the end I say program in whatever language you
wish, and if it helps you solve the problems you are working on, then
that is the language for you.

Ryan