Daniel Sheppard wrote:
> Been meaning to jump in on the quiz, but haven't had the time... I can't
> believe it's Wednesday already.
>
> The attached just judges the solution on a number of criteria - I don't
> like that bob's solution has some people playing others 4 times and
> others only once... seems it should work more evenly than that, but busy
> busy busy....

Yes, that's the challenge. How to improve the fairness of the matchups.
In practice, what I've done is to run my generator through hundreds of
trials, selecting the best chart generated. I haven't hit upon a way to
either generate an optimal solution initially or improve an existing
solution (perhaps some kind of genetic algorithm?)

I've posted a longer version of my approach at:

   http://users.adelphia.net/~showaltb/rubyquiz/56/derby2.rb

This contains my statistical evaluation logic and a second generator,
RoundRobinChart, which uses a very naive round-robin lane assignment. It
also contains routines to serialize and deserialize a chart (it uses a
simple text format instead of YAML or Marshal)