> K> From C, rb_define_class() defines a named class, however, on the Ruby
> K> side there is no equivalent function
>
>  What do you want to do with such a function ?

Construct a class with a name provided by the user.  It would be
derived from another class.  (OK, that was a couple of weeks ago, I
decided to implement it differently by now.)

I know eval() can create the class.
You just explained in [ruby-talk:16807] how to get a reference to the
class (Kernel.const_get() will do the trick).

So, even though what I wanted is possible, isn't one of the ideas of
Ruby to allow you to write what you want consisely?

  Class.new(name)

would be very short and very clear, if you ask me (name being a string
or a symbol, not sure whether both should be allowed). But hey, I just
started looking at & programming in Ruby, so may be there is some
other possible/funny meaning that this would have.

> K> Perhaps there are more functions in C that have no counterpart in Ruby
> K> itself?
>
>  Yes,

I'll stumble across them in some future...
Won't be hacking from C to (extend) Ruby, shortly.

Thanks!

Bye,
Kero.

|  Don't split your mentality without thinking twice       |
|                          Proud like a God -- Guano Apes  |
+--- M38c ------------------ http://huizen.dds.nl/~kero ---+