On 11/29/05, James Edward Gray II <james / grayproductions.net> wrote:
> On Nov 29, 2005, at 8:15 AM, David Balmain wrote:

> >> I've been considering this for a quiz.  I'm currently in the process
> >> of solving it myself, to prove it's not too much work.  My free time
> >> is scarce currently though, so if you beat me to a solution mail it
> >> to me, along with a count of how many hours it took to build...
> >>
> >> James Edward Gray II
> >
> > Parsing English is what I wrote my thesis on at university. I wonder
> > if a general purpose English tokenizing and parsing library would be
> > of any use to anyone. I'm thinking of taking it up again.
>
> I would LOVE to see a pure Ruby library for something like this.  I
> can't imagine it wouldn't get used.

Unfortunately I think I'd have to do it in C. My linguistic skills
aren't good enough to take a purely grammatical approach. I'd need to
take a learning approach. The  parser I wrote at university took 72
hours to process the input corpus which it learned all the rules from.
I'd hate to think how long this would take in pure ruby. Writing this
as a ruby extension would be the way to go. For me at least anyway.

Dave