On 11/29/05, Tsume <tsumeruby / tsumelabs.com> wrote:
> On Wednesday 30 November 2005 07:49 am, snacktime wrote:
> > On 11/28/05, tony <L / l.com> wrote:
> > > Hi all,
> > > is there a GUI IDE for Ruby? I have to decide on Ruby orJava to start
> > > developing crossplatform gui applications (developed on Linux) and this
> > > info is crucial to me.
> > >
> > > Thank you for your answers.
> >
> > I've been looking at my options in this area also.  So far wxruby and
> > visualwx are at the top of my list.  wxruby seems pretty stable even
> > though it's considered beta.  visualwx is alpha quality but seems to
> > work ok.  The two combined are much simpler to configure and use then
> > anything else I have found.  Actually I haven't found any other visual
> > IDE that runs on windows and uses a library that has native widgets.
> > If it exists I'd love to find it.  fxruby looks like a close second
> > but frankly it's widgets are ugly on windows.
> >
> > Chris
>
> wxruby2 is very incomplete, wxruby doesn't work too well... sorry to burst the
> enjoyment bubble.

If it works well enough for the application at hand and has the
features needed, then whether it's 'incomplete' as a whole or has
problems in some areas really isn't all that important.

What matters is out of all the choices you have, what's the best
solution?   In my case I need native widgets, I don't want to spend
hundreds of dollars on an IDE, and I need to create closed source
programs (bye bye Qt Designer).  There really isn't much out there
given my requirements.   At the same time i don't need that many
features,  and wxruby seems to work just fine so far.  That said, if I
run into issues with xwruby I might end up using wxperl or wxpython.
Just as long as I don't have to invest hundreds into MS dev tools
and can use a language I already know I really don't care that much.

Chris